Tuesday, April 14, 2020

This is my Father's world, adapted

This is my Father’s world, and to my listening ears
All nature sings, and ‘round me rings the music of the spheres.
This is my Father’s world; I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas, his hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father’s world. The birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white declare their Maker’s praise.
This is my Father’s world. He shines in all that’s fair.
In rustling grass I hear him pass; God speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father’s world. Among the mountains drear,
‘Mid rending rocks and earthquake shocks, the still, small voice I hear.
This is my Father’s world, now close to heaven bound,
For dear to God is the earth Christ trod; no place but holy ground.

This is my Father’s world. O let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father’s world. Why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King; let the heavens ring! God reigns; Let earth be glad!


TEXT: From Maltbie D. Babcock, “My Father’s World,” in Thoughts for Every-Day Living, from the Spoken and Written Words of Maltbie Davenport Babcock, 1901; adapted from stanzas 2-5, 9, 11, 14, 16 and alt. Charles Spence Freeman, 2020.
MUSIC: Tune TERRA BEATA, Franklin L. Sheppard, 1915 











































Going back to Maltbie Babcock's original poem from which the popular hymn is extracted yielded some interesting verses not typically preserved in modern hymnals. Seeking to use this hymn for an Earth Day-themed service made those stanzas seem worth reinstating. Hopefully Babcock will be pleased with this (in whatever afterlife he may be) enough to be unconcerned about the few word alterations needed for music rhythm and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment