Sunday, July 10, 2022

This one thing only, updated

This one thing only, loving God, 

            plant firmly in my heart; 

Amidst our work, to hear your word 

            and choose the better part;

 

Lord, show us when to labor on 

            and when to stop and rest,

To hear your voice and, so restored, 

            to serve you at our best.

 

O give this gift, our loving God, 

            and this one grace please give:

To know one thing above all else 

            and in this one thing live.

 

 

Text: Charles Spence Freeman, Summer 2013 (after Luke 10:38-42), ed. 2019

Music: Suggested tune McKEE, African American spiritual; Jubliee Songs, 1884; adapt. Harry T. Burleigh, 1940.

 

 

One of my oldest hymns. During my parish internship in seminary I needed a hymn on the visit of Jesus to Martha and Mary, and nothing in the hymnal satisfied. So I wrote one. Sounds so simple, huh? While such things happened a few times then, there was no indication at that time that such practice would become quite what is has. (Plus, now I've gotten enough of a grip to create a basic four-part version of the music.)






No comments:

Post a Comment