Sunday, October 15, 2023

We give our thanks unto our God

We give our thanks unto our God for all of you,

And in our prayers we always say your name; 

For all your faith and labor for the Lord our God,

And for your steadfast hope in Christ the same.

Sisters and brothers, we know God has chosen you,

In how the gospel came to you with power

With full conviction from the Holy Spirit too.

We thank our God for you in every day and hour.

 

 

TEXT: Charles Spence Freeman, October 2023, after 1 Thessalonians 1:1-10.

MUSIC: Tune LONDONDERRY AIR, Traditional Irish tune.

 

 

At this point I'd describe this text as a stub. I don't quite see it as a full hymn, but the rest of the passage cited doesn't really suggest a completion of the hymn. So what comes next? An (imagined) response from the church at Thessalonika? Something to draw the text into our own time? I mean, if someone really desperately wants to use this next Sunday with this RCL epistle reading I'm certainly not going to say no (as long as my name stays on it), but I don't think it's finished yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment