Wednesday, September 4, 2019

I thank my God

“I thank my God each time that I remember you.
            I thank my God who reigns on high above, 
Because your faith in our Lord Jesus shines in you,
            and how you hold the saints in faithful love.”
Oh, let our love so shine in how we choose to live
            within the body of the Christ, our Lord;
In how we give and care and serve each other too;
            for thus we show our Love for Jesus Christ our Lord.


TEXT: Charles Spence Freeman, 2019, after Philemon 4-5
MUSIC: Tune LONDONDERRY AIR, Traditional Irish tune (public domain)







































Again, more hymn writing for the sake of disciplining myself to do it without waiting around for "inspiration," and I suppose being accountable with it too (otherwise I could just trash this and never let anybody see it). I suppose it was inevitable that someone who marched for four years in the Dublin (GA) High School Fighting Irish Band would eventually turn to LONDONDERRY AIR, a modified version of which was the fight song we played oh, so many times. It does show up as a hymn tune in some hymnals, though, so it's not completely nuts. And hey, Philemon needs some hymns.

No comments:

Post a Comment