Sunday, September 29, 2019

I'm not ashamed, whate'er my trial

I’m not ashamed, whate’er my trial; I know in whom I trust.
I trust our Savior, Jesus Christ, and follow him I must.
I know that he is capable to guard until that day
The life that I entrust to Christ who is my truth and way.

Hold on, dear friends, to what you know, to all you have been taught;
Stand fast in God’s most holy Word, that truth you long have sought.
In faith and love that are Christ’s own be true to this you know,
This treasure you are given as you in God’s own Spirit grow.


TEXT: Charles Spence Freeman, 2019, after 2 Timothy 1:12-14
MUSIC: Suggested tune RESIGNATION, USA folk melody, Lewis’s Beauties of Harmony, 1828











































Yup, another one from the lectionary epistle reading. This one actually marinated for a few days before coming together, but for now keeping on doing the work seems like a discipline I need for now. Still, it works, I think (though I'm quite certain some editing is in its future), and the tune seems particularly suitable for the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment